meanderW

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

So Long Sweet Friend...

Well the day has come and gone... my sweet Tyson was laid to rest on April 15, 2013 at about 6pm in the evening.  How thankful I am for the last 2.5 months.  This was much more time than I expected after his diagnosis in early February.  I did my best to spoil him although I wish I had done more.  We went to his favorite dog park.  Went for walks all the time.  Gave him as many treats as possible and brushed him as often as I could (he would stand there for hours if it was up to him).

For a large part of the last 2.5 months, Tyson was just his normal, happy-go-lucky self.  Running, jumping, eating and, most importantly, going to the bathroom.  I guessed that his ability to go to the bathroom would be his first sign that things were getting worse.  Strange enough, he was able to have bowel movements until his last day... the size of the tumor started to affect his back legs and his ability to use them.  His last 48 hours were hard to watch.  He could get around but it was painful.  He would wince just standing sometimes or wobble under his own weight.  I couldn't wait any longer knowing he was suffering and made an appointment as soon as it was available. 

His last day was spent taking short trips outdoors for potty trips. Getting brushed a bunch and getting lots of love.  We even gave him some super sweet treats; cheese, ice cream... anything he seemed interested in we let him try! When the girls went down for nap time, I got some great one on one time with him and just sat with him.  I am so thankful for it.

My vet office rocks.  Even though they squeezed us in between appointments, they never rushed us and allowed Billy and I to have all the time we wanted with Tyson.  Some very sweet conversations went on between the two 'men' in my house.  When we were ready, our vet and our vet tech sat with us on the floor while we held Tyson and they loved on him just as much as we did in his last moments. 

Today the house seems a little more quiet a little more empty... Maya definitely has noticed Tyson's absence.  Thankfully her cousin dog, Baldwin, is here for another week and a half to help cushion the blow.  I took a picture we had made of Tyson in this morning to get framed.  I've had it for almost a month now but had it tucked away so it didn't get damaged.  I thought it was going to be hard to see it but it made me smile.  Can't wait to get it up on the wall and see his sweet face everyday.  We'll be missing you buddy. 


Sir Tyson of Normandy Square, 2003-2013

3 comments:

  1. Adelle did such a great job and that picture will bring to mind wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that your vet's office was as wonderful as they were. Tyson really was a special dog and will be missed by many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh friend. I was working out of town when I saw this post and knew I couldn't read it in an office surrounded by people...they might have thought I was nuts bawling over a blog. I can only imagine the range of emotions you were and probably are still continuing to have...hugs and prayers with you and your family. I am glad we have had the opportunity to keep up with each other through blogs and facebook!!

    ReplyDelete