In mid-September (yes, I know this is late) we headed down to San Antonio for a long weekend. We were able to see family, catch-up with old friends and also let Emma and Maggie have their first SeaWorld experience! We decided to rent a house near SeaWorld since Mitty's house is about 45 minutes away and we were planning on going to the park for two days.
Might I just mention that I love vrbo.com. For hotel prices you can get an entire house that can sleep tons of people and you can have a kitchen so all your meals don't have to be takeout.
Okay, back to SeaWorld. The first day was great weather. It was 80% chance of rain and in the high 70's. The humidity was about 110%. But honestly... it worked out great. We never once had to put on our raincoats but one of the shows on our list did get cancelled due to lightning. But every time it rained we were either watching a show under cover or eating lunch. And the park was almost empty. So it was nice not to fight crowds and just leisurely stroll around. Friday we focused on the dolphins. But Emma even got to meet one of her favorite book characters, Franklin the turtle too! Mitty and Aunt Jamie came to the park with us on Friday and it was so nice to have them there. Maggie had a good time too but spent much of her time in the stroller or on laps. She wasn't the excellent walker she is today. Here's some pics from Friday!
 |
| Franklin! |
 |
| First time on a ride! |
 |
| Emma and Nacha, who is still discussed in our house today |
 |
| Maggie loves her 'ga-ga' (beluga) |
 |
| It's hard to see in this photo but its pouring behind us. |
 |
| The girls holding tightly to their loot! |
We went back to the park on Saturday with Aunt Jamie, Granddad & Grandma in tow. And we also met up with my old high school friends Leslie and Becky. The weather was seriously gorgeous on Saturday and the park was packed. But it was okay... all we had to see was Shamu and the penguins. And we even squeezed in the dolphin show that was cancelled the day before. Sadly, we didn't get as many photos on Saturday. But Emma's face says it all...

She was amazed at the Orcas. She didn't want to leave the stadium after it was empty. She just wanted to watch the 5 whales swim back and forth. Now, the SeaWorld I remember from my childhood has been way toned down due to safety reasons. But to see the wonder in your child's face at just the sight of these amazing animals in close proximity is priceless. And I know there's much debate about the living conditions these animals endure. And no matter my stance on whether I agree with it or not, I am thankful that my children can have this experience. Only God knows what kind of passion might be instilled in these sweet hearts due to experiences like these.
Sidenote for those thinking about going: I really enjoyed going during the offseason but we did miss out on some of their regular season perks; Dining with Shamu was not an option, opening hours aren't as long as during the summer months, and I've heard from SA locals that the shows aren't as 'big and dramatic' as they are during the regular season and holidays.
Looks like you all had a blast. I especially like your travel agent tips you provided...thanks! :)
ReplyDelete