meanderW

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sweet Mary Jane

Tribute to Mary Jane

Last month we said goodbye to a wonderful lady.  Mary Jane Shultz Gunthorp Hoerl was 91 years old when she passed away at her farm in Howe, IN, where she had resided for the past 66+ years.  It was quite a surprise to many of us as her health had been on the upswing in recent months.  But we are thankful that her passing went quickly and without much pain, and especially that she ended her life in the place she loved most. 

Mary Jane (or Grandma to me) was the only grandparent I really knew during my short life.  I had others, but they passed before I was old enough to make memories with them.  Grandma was a special lady... I knew her as an independent woman who people listened to and respected.  She lived on the infamous farm that my family knew as a refuge for peace and a welcomed slower pace of life.  Even though in its hey day, it was a 200+ acre, full working farm and (as my Dad can attest) there was not much rest or relaxing.  She mowed her own yard into her 80's on her riding John Deere, of course!  And could still drive herself around until her death.  Most trips were into downtown Howe (2 miles away) for lunch, to visit with her sister or to travel to Shipshewana and grab a bite at the Blue Gate Restaurant. 

Winter Farm

I really could go on and on about Grandma... so many fun stories to share that are unique to only her.  She actively kept up with her grandkids (all granddaughters in our family) even though we all lived states away.  Celebrated graduations, weddings and the arrival of children like only a Grandma can.  If she couldn't attend, you knew she wished she could.  Grandma was married twice since my Grandfather passed when my Dad was only 21.  And from what I've heard, she did just as great with her second husband's family as she did with us! 

Summer Farm. Jacob and I in 2004, playing on the riding lawn mower. (John Deere of course)

Grandma didn't travel much in her last few years... she did attempt a trip to Austin in Feb 2011 where we were so excited to introduce her to Emma Jane.  Unfortunately, Grandma was too proud to tell anyone about her not feeling well before the trip and ended up in the hospital almost her entire time in Texas.  Regardless, she made the best of her visit and got to snuggle with Emma.  Billy got a glimpse into Howe, IN when we visited there over Christmas 2007.  Sharing the farm with him was a wonderful experience.  Even if it was covered in that white stuff that us Texans rarely see.  He's also gotten to visit with my Grandma on several occasions and can vouch for her sharpness, humor and love of family. 

Grandma and Emma

Grandma has left so much of herself with me.  Plenty of advice and rules to live by....  a love for Indiana Goulosh and her homemade apple sauce.  I've even been called the "Little Mary Jane" because of our likeness when she was my age.  But I definitely inherited her gene that results in blue eyes.  The only one of my sisters to get it from our father...  that gene was passed to Emma whose middle name comes from Grandma's.  When comparing my Dad's, mine and Emma's.... Emma Jane's eyes are the closest to Grandma's color blue of any of us. 

I was fortunate enough to be able to attend Grandma's funeral up in Indiana and what a blessing it was to see all those that loved her and hear the stories of how she impacted their lives.  What a delightful surprise to hear about her younger years of how she was in school or as new mother.  My Dad did the eulogy and us granddaughters read Bible verses.  The Pastor did a great job in comparing how Grandma prepared/kept her house to how Jesus is preparing a house for all of us.  The gospel was presented in a beautiful way. 

Being in her 90's, Grandma had already been planning for her departure from this earth and wanted us to celebrate it and celebrate being together.  She had made it clear, she wanted us all to go out to dinner afterwards and that she was paying for it! HA!  Even in her death, she was still taking care of us. 

Who knows if we'll get back to the farm ever again... funny how the place just doesn't seem as magical without Grandma there.  I use to think the Farm was what was so majestic about going to Indiana, but I know now it was Grandma.  The memories of the place will stay with me always.  The memories of my sweet Grandma will live as long as I do.  I look forward to seeing her someday in Heaven and pray that I can be half the person she was here on earth.  We miss you Grandma but are so thankful to have been part of your life.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this tribute to your grandma. So sweet that Emma has her middle name and eyes. Her farm looks like such a picturesque place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a touching tribute to your Grandma and one I am sure you will be sharing with your kids for years to come. What a good example for us "young ones" to look to and to try and have a similar impact throughout our lives.

    ReplyDelete