Twelve years ago today, the Bonfire at A&M collapsed. This tragic event was one of the most memorable of my attendance at Texas A&M. Not because of the actual event, but because of the first hand witnessing of the 'Spirit of Aggieland'.
Bonfire was totally a student led project. Guys and gals would attend their normal classes during the day and all night long people would work to build this massive structure. Literally, all night long. I remember going to 8am classes and seeing some people heading back to their dorms after working on Bonfire. It was a 90 year tradition that consisted of over 8000 logs and over 125,000 man hours. It was an impressive effort. And I truly think it was the effort that people loved so much about it. The camaraderie that was built, the friendships that were made...
I wasn't even in Texas when Bonfire fell. The Club Soccer team was in Georgia at our National Soccer Tournament when the news spread like wildfire. My Mom and sister both called me to tell me about it. It was unbelievable. I honestly doubted them at first, until my sister said "turn on the news." I remember the whole team cramming into one hotel room as the names were called out of the injured/deceased. I went to high school with Bryan McClain. Unfortunately, we had to finish our games before being able to return home. The rest of the tournament went by in a blur. I do remember other teams offering their condolences, and we were eating at a restaurant one night and the whole restaurant got real quiet when the updates on Bonfire came on TV so we could listen. The airlines helped bump 20+ tickets to an earlier flight just so we could get home (and overlooked their change fees). Seeing the Bonfire site days after the event was shocking. It was already memorialized and flowers were as far as the eye could see. But it really did sink in when we finally saw this hallowed ground.
I know A&M is one of those huge state schools with thousands of students, but in the events that followed, everyone grew closer. It didn't feel like a big school anymore... it was tight knit and everyone offered a shoulder. So many students were out helping clean up. Football players helped remove larger logs so they didn't have to wait for the cranes. John Comstock was the last living person pulled from Bonfire, and instead of having them get him, he directed the crews to other people. Our Student Body President attended each one of the 12 funerals of the Fallen. I spoke with him briefly at Bryan's. Bryan's funeral is still the largest I've ever attended to this day. And no where have I heard so many WHOOPs or seen them invoke so many tears. People sat in the aisles and stood in every available space. I wouldn't be surprised if the church overlooked their capacity level for the event. I knew many of the other high school classmates that attended but Bryan had obviously been touching a lot of lives at A&M. And I wouldn't be surprised if some Ol Ags, who didn't even know Bryan, just came to support the family. It was also humbling to see not only the support nationally but also from fellow Texas schools. Everyone just loved on A&M during that difficult time, and it was very sweet to see. I won't ever forget that.
Even though there is no more school-sanctioned Bonfire, there is always a Bonfire in Aggie's hearts. No one can accurately explain 'the Spirit', but that's about as close as I can get. :-)


Very touching, thank you for sharing.
ReplyDelete