meanderW

Friday, June 17, 2011

Happy First Father's Day

Since you only have one ‘first’… I thought I’d take some time to write down some of the things I’ve noticed about Mr. Bruce (our Mayor) since he’s become a Daddy. Billy and I always seemed to just fit together when we first met.  He’s amazing in so many ways (I’ll save the juicy stuff for another post) but it resulted in me falling head over heels for the man long before ‘family’ was ever mentioned.  Little did I know… it was possible that I could love him more.  Billy always knew he’d have a little girl and I always knew he’d be an excellent father to daughters.  Not that he wouldn’t excel with sons either… I could see him sweetly playing with dolls or tea sets just for his daughter’s delight. Now that Emma is here, I know its true.

Even before she was interacting with us, Billy would always go the extra mile. In those early days, he would rock her for hours so I could get a peaceful nap.  Emma loved to fall asleep on him when she was little.  She knew where she was safe and secure.  See example below.


Billy has always been ready and willing to do anything regarding Emma’s care.  Whether it be changing a diaper, put the pacifier back in for the 100th time, or putting that extra blanket on her before we go to bed for fear her little hands might get cold.  Emma had a minor diaper rash and my sweet husband was using my blow dryer to ensure she was dry.  His dedication to her is beautiful.  It makes me so proud and honored to be this man’s wife.


Billy has always said he plans to be disciplinarian-type of parent.  But every so often, I catch his eyes watering up over the latest small but momentous achievement of his daughter.  I imagine he’ll have a hard time not laughing when Emma decides to get sassy.  Only time will tell… J

I always thought Mothers were the real ‘worriers’ about their children but I now know (because of Billy) Fathers are right up there too. Billy even picks Emma up gently for fear her little armpits have handled too much carrying over the day. If he doesn’t beat me to her room after one of those not-so-normal crying yells, he’s right behind me. He is quick to point out any potential danger within 10 yards of Emma, even though its stationary and she’s not moving yet. And he hasn’t said it, but I know he would lay down his life for this little girl without even a thought.

I know Emma can’t verbalize or even realize the amazing man she has as a father yet, so until she does I’ll honor him for her.  Happy FIRST Father’s Day to my sweet Billy!  

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, the picture of them sleeping is just PRECIOUS!

    What a good daddy. Those Bruce boys are good eggs, I tell ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second what Marci said! Emma is so lucky to have a daddy like Billy and a mommy that honors him.

    ReplyDelete